By MIDN 1/C Sarah Elyard
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA. – Penn State’s Applied Research Laboratory held its 70th Anniversary Celebration at the Nittany Lion Inn on August 26th. Four midshipmen from the Penn State NROTC Unit were given the honor of attending the dinner ceremony and participating in color guard for the event.
The U.S. Navy established the ARL at Penn State in 1945 for the purposes of naval technology research and exploratory development. Director Vice Admiral Paul Sullivan, USN (Retired) and the Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development, and Acquisition spoke of the progress the ARL has made over the past seventy years. A center for excellence, the Applied Research Laboratory at Penn State will continue research for the future advancement of naval technologies.